Information about traineeship numbers
Prior to making any decisions about a career in law, students are advised to consider the number of traineeships registered in previous years for a picture of the traineeship market.
In practice year* 2014/15 there were 540 traineeships registered. This represents a slight increase of 2% compared to the number of traineeships registered in practice year 2013/14 (530):
- 88% of those admitted in the last practice year are currently employed as solicitors (a decrease on the 93% last year)
- 11% of traineeships are in house, a slight decrease on the proportion last year (12%)
- 75% of traineeships are in the Central Belt, a slight drop on last year’s 78%
- The proportion of those admitted over the last 5 years who are female remains static at 63%
- There are 691 PEAT 1 (Diploma) students who commenced in academic year 2015/16 compared to 541 the previous academic year
The full report details the number of traineeships over the past five practice years as well as admission statistics for the same period and information about the geographical location and size of firms employing trainees.
Students without traineeships remain in a competitive market as a result of the economic downturn. Further information and guidance on finding a traineeship has been produced by the Society’s Education, Training and Qualifications team.
*The practice year runs from 1 November to 31 October