General queries about the Society
The Law Society is the professional body for all Scottish solicitors and sets the standards which practising solicitors must meet. Whilst we can’t become involved in an individual’s legal affairs, we are an important part of the system of legal regulation which seeks to protect the public.
- Help you trace any law firm in Scotland, past and present.
- Explain the complaints process, including your solicitor’s responsibilities and how to contact the Scottish Legal Complaints Commisson.
- Provide legal advice.
- Recommend or appoint individual solicitors or firms.
- Advise if you are eligible for legal aid (for that you must contact the Scottish Legal Aid Board)
- Receive complaints directly - all complaints start with the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission.
No, we cannot give legal advice but we can help you find the right solicitor to assist you. The Find a Solicitor function on our website allows you to search by the type of work you need carried out or search for a solicitor close to where you live.