Prisoners (Control of Release) (Scotland) Bill
A Bill to end the right of certain long-term prisoners to automatic early release from prison at the two-thirds point of their sentences and to allow prisoners serving all but very short sentences to be released from prison on a particular day suitable for their re-integration into the community.
- View the bill on the Scottish Parliament website
- The Law Society of Scotland's written evidence (December 2014)
The Cabinet Secretary for Justice confirmed to the Justice Committee in February that the Scottish Government would be bringing forward amendements at Stage 2 which would extend the provisions of the Bill to end the automatic early release for all categories of long term prisoner. In light of this announcement, the Society has submitted supplementary evidence.
- The Law Society's supplementary evidence (February 2015)
- The Law Society of Scotland's Stage 1 Briefing (March 2015)
- The Law Society of Scotland's Stage 3 Briefing (June 2015)