Our priorities for the Scottish Parliament election 2016
The 2016 Scottish Parliament election comes against a backdrop of unprecedented levels of political engagement and the devolution of further powers to Holyrood.
As the statutory regulator of the solicitors’ profession, with a duty to represent the interests of both the profession and the public, we are committed to promoting people’s rights and ensuring new law is coherent, practical and easy to understand.
Following discussions among the many lawyers, academics and other experts from outside the profession who contribute to our work, we have identified five key policy areas we would urge the political parties to take on board, promoting them in government and opposition:
- Access to justice
- Modern legislation for a modern profession
- The legal profession at the heart of a thriving economy
- Access to education
- Law reform and quality of legislation
Latest-news Rss Feed
- Criminal justice system to be accessible and provide inclusive service for all
- Joint statement on the possible reinstatement of the death penalty in Turkey
- Career development and volunteering at the Law Society
- Increased civil court fees would be damaging to access to justice
- Law Society staff climb Ben Nevis for Cystic Fibrosis Trust