Making a complaint against a solicitor

This video can also be viewed on Vimeo

Most people consulting a solicitor are satisfied with the service that they receive. Occasionally, this is not the case and people wish to make a complaint.

All complaints should be made to the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (SLCC) as they are the gateway for all complaints against solicitors in Scotland. We cannot receive complaints directly.

If you are considering making a complaint, you should follow these steps:

Step 1

If you are not satisfied with a solicitor or a solicitor's firm, you need to raise your concerns with the firm in the first instance. Solicitors' firms have a client relations manager who will listen to your problem and try to resolve it. This is usually the quickest and most effective way of sorting out the problem.

You can contact the firm and ask for the name of the client relations manager or contact the Society's Public Communications team on 0131 226 7411 for that information.

The client relations manager has an important role in clarifying and explaining any possible misunderstandings and working to resolve your problem. It may be that a different client relations manager could step in if the problem relates to the client relations manager.

Step 2

If the problem is not resolved with the client relations manager, you may submit a formal complaint to the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (SLCC), which is the gateway for all complaints against solicitors in Scotland.

This applies irrespective of whether the solicitor was acting for you and the type of work being undertaken. It applies to solicitors who may be acting as insolvency practitioners.  The SLCC decides if a complaint relates to the service provided or the conduct of a solicitor and whether the SLCC or the Society or both should investigate the matter.

If it relates to a solicitor’s conduct it will be investigated by us.

Find out more about how conduct complaints are investigated

Further information

It’s important to us that our information is open to all. We can send you a hard copy of our information leaflets and can, on request, provide them in different formats such as Braille, large print, on cassette or in other languages.

You can also use the textphone service, so if you have hearing or speech problems we can talk with you using this service. Our textphone number is 0131 476 8359.

Making a complaint about us

If you are unhappy with the way we dealt with your complaint about the conduct of a solicitor then you can of course raise this directly with our staff team. If you remain unhappy then you can make a handling complaint to the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission.

More information is available via the SLCC website.

If your complaint doesn’t relate to a complaint about a solicitor, then you can find out how to make a complaint about us.