Date: 19th June 2019
Time: 13:30 - 17:20
Law Society of Scotland
144 Morrison Street
CPD Hours: 3hoursAt this half-day event our private client experts will provide you with the tools and guidance on how to avoid negligence claims in the areas of will drafting and executries administration.
3 hours verifiable CPD
In recent years, claims and complaints against solicitors have been increasing across all aspects of legal practice. Figures from the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission show that wills and executries are among the top five areas of law with the highest number of complaints against solicitors, attracting three times more complaints from third parties than any other area of law.
During this seminar, our private client experts will provide you with the tools and guidance on how to avoid negligence claims in the areas of will drafting and executries administration. We will guide you through the aspects to keep in mind and the pitfalls to avoid for drafting efficient wills; delve into the Scots law of negligence in will making and its latest developments; explore the risks and common causes of complaint that affect practitioners in this area; and offer best practice advice for avoiding claims and managing challenging situations.
By attending this seminar, you will:
- get top tips for drafting efficient wills;
- learn about recent developments in liability for professional negligence in the area of will making;
- identify the common areas of risk associated with wills and executries, and learn how to manage them;
- gain best practice guidance on how to avoid claims and complaints.
- Mark Paxton, Case Investigations Manager, Scottish Legal Complaints Commission
- Laura Burns, Associate, Mitchells Roberton
- Eilidh M Scobbie, Partner, Burnett and Reid
- Nicholas Holroyd, Advocate, Terra Firma Chambers
- Pete Murrin, Partner, Turcan Connell