Date: 19th June 2019
Time: 09:00 - 12:30
Law Society of Scotland
144 Morrison Street
CPD Hours: 2hours 30minutesThis seminar will provide you with practical guidance and pitfalls to avoid when advising your clients on the legal and financial impact of divorce for their business.
2.5 hours verifiable CPD
What do corporate advisers need to know about the consequences of divorce for business owners? And what are the key financial and business issues that family lawyers need to deal with when advising their clients upon divorce?
Financial settlements following separation or divorce are a complex and distressing matter, with even more complicated scenarios and vexed issues arising when business assets and valuation are at stake.
This interdisciplinary seminar brings together family lawyers and wealth management advisers to provide you with practical guidance on the aspects to keep in mind and the pitfalls to avoid when advising your clients on the legal and financial impact of divorce for their business. It will also give you the opportunity to join the speakers in a group discussion to reflect on specific issues or challenges that you have encountered in your practice.
At this seminar you will:
- Advance your understanding of the impact of Scots law of divorce for business owners
- Get expert guidance on the key legal and financial issues affecting business assets upon divorce
- Learn about the way courts have recently dealt with divorce cases relating to business interests
- Philippa Cunniff, Partner, Head of Family Law, Gilson Gray (Chair)
- Jo Douglas, Assistant Director, Financial Planning, Brewin Dolphin Ltd
- Jenny Smith, Partner, Harper Macleod LLP
- Alexis Harper, Partner, Harper Macleod LLP
- Alison Edmondson, Director, SKO Family Law Specialists