The Innovation Cup encourages innovation and is an annual competition amongst Scottish solicitors, trainees, cash-room staff, paralegals and students inviting their bright ideas for risk management strategies. The ‘brightest’ risk management idea is shared across private practices and rewarded with a £1,500 cash prize.
The competition is now in its second year, having launched it in 2018 in association with our Master Policy lead insurers RSA and brokers, Lockton. The initiative acknowledges the risks and responsibilities shouldered by private legal practices on behalf of their clients and aims to inspire new risk management solutions from within the profession.
Competition entries for 2019 are invited with ideas to improve systems, processes or controls within private practice firms, and can range from a simple tweak to an existing process all the way up to something completely new.
The competition is open to all Scottish solicitors with a practising certificate, trainees, cash-room staff working in or for private practice law firms, accredited paralegals and student associates. There will be a cash prize of £1,500 for the winning entry provided by RSA and a commitment to help implement the idea.
Entries will be judged by two members of the Law Society Insurance Committee, three representatives from RSA and one representative from Lockton. The winner will be announced by 28 June 2019.
How to enter
Please complete the entry form and return it by email to email@example.com, by midnight on 31 May 2019.
Please provide details of the risk(s) your idea is designed to address.
If you have any views on how you would like to see your idea being implemented please also include this in your entry. Entries should be between 500 and 2000 words and can include graphs, pictures or slides, if appropriate.
- The competition is open to UK residents, aged 16 or over excluding employees of the Law Society of Scotland, RSA Group, Lockton Companies LLP and their families or members of the Law Society Insurance Committee and their families.
- To enter the competition entrants must be either: a solicitor holding a Practising Certificate, a trainee solicitor, cash-room staff within a private law firm in Scotland, an accredited paralegal in Scotland or a student associate.
- No purchase is necessary.
- The start date for receipt of entries is 27 February 2019. The closing date is midnight on the 31 May 2019.
- Entries are limited to one per person.
- Any entry that is lost or misplaced, incomplete or fraudulent, or which otherwise does not comply with these rules, will be disqualified.
- The winner of the competition will receive £1500 cash prize.
- The judges will choose the winners from all eligible entries received. The winning entry will be the one that in the opinion of the judges provides the best idea to improve systems, processes or controls within private practice law firms.
- The winning entry will be decided within four weeks closing date and the winner will be notified by email or telephone one week thereafter.
- Winners may be required to participate in any after event publicity and hereby consent to the use of their names, locations and photographs.
- All entrants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this competition.
- The winner’s name will be available on request by sending an SAE to the promoter within six weeks of the closing date.
- The decisions of the judges and promoter are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The promoter is The Law Society of Scotland, Atria One, 144 Morrison Street, Edinburgh EH3 8EX.
- The winning entry will not be returned.
- By submitting an entry you confirm that the entry is your own original creation and you agree that the promoter may reproduce the entry for publicity in relation to this and other promotions.