The Smartcard is issued by the Law Society of Scotland in cooperation with the Spanish Bar Association, RedAbogacia. It enables a secure and convenient way to conduct business.
A photographic ID for practising solicitors - allowing access to courts and prisons and helping reassure the public they are consulting a trusted adviser. An alternative ID only card is also available.
An electronic ID - allowing real-time confirmation of credentials, which will evolve across a range of new and planned services throughout the justice system.
A secure digital signature - allowing practising solicitors to sign documents and contracts entirely electronically, and to receive signatures from others knowing they come from a trusted professional system.
A 21st century register - to ensure that as a professional body, we are seen to hold robust and reliable confirmation of member credentials and offer our members registration services.
The Smartcard also provides evidence of your entitlement to practice.
- CCBE logo – Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe. Although the UK is no longer a member of the EU, the Society is still an affiliate member of the CCBE, which continues to licence the Society to issue the card to members as proof of admission as a solicitor in Scotland. The card can facilitate access to courts and institutions for lawyers active outside their home jurisdiction.
- The Law Society of Scotland, Governing Body of Scottish Solicitors.
- Your role in the Scottish legal profession.
- The Registration Authority for issuing Smartcards.
- Your Scottish Solicitor ID number which can be checked here.
- Card valid until date.
- The name you practise under.