The Smartcard is issued by the Law Society of Scotland in cooperation with the Spanish Bar Association, RedAbogacia. It enables a secure and convenient way to conduct business and is now the primary ID for solicitors in Scotland.
A photographic ID for practising solicitors - allowing access to courts and prisons and helping reassure the public they are consulting a trusted adviser.
An electronic ID - allowing real-time confirmation of credentials, which will evolve across a range of new and planned services throughout the justice system.
A secure digital signature - allowing practising solicitors to sign documents and contracts entirely electronically, and to receive signatures from others knowing they come from a trusted professional system.
A 21st century register - to ensure that as a professional body, we are seen to hold robust and reliable confirmation of member credentials and offer our members registration services.
The Smartcard also provides evidence of your entitlement to practice.
- CCBE logo – Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe. The Law Society of Scotland is a Member of the Council and therefore Scottish Solicitors have access to European courts and prisons.
- The Law Society of Scotland, Governing Body of Scottish Solicitors.
- Your role in the Scottish legal profession.
- The Registration Authority for issuing Smartcards.
- Your Scottish Solicitor ID number which can be checked here.
- Card valid until date.
- The name you practise under.