Please note you can only receive a Smartcard (with or without digital signature) if you have sent us a completed application form and photo and have received a confirmation email.
If you want to use your Smartcard for ID purposes only, and do not need a digital signature, we will send you your card to the business address on file by recorded delivery. However, if you would like a digital signature or just want to keep your options open, you will have to attend one of the Smartcard events listed below.
We hold drop-in sessions at our offices in Morrison Street. The drop-ins take place fortnightly from 3 to 5 PM and have limited capacity, so please follow the link for the date you prefer to book yourself a spot:
- January: Tuesday 22nd
- February: Wednesday 6th and Thursday 21st
- March: Tuesday 5th and Wednesday 20th
- April: Thursday 4th and Tuesday 16th
- May: Wednesday 8th and Thursday 23rd
- June: Tuesday 4th and Wednesday 19th
- July: Tuesday 16th and Wednesday 31st
- September: Tuesday 10th and Wednesday 25th
- October: Thursday 10th and Tuesday 22nd
- November: Wednesday 6th and Thursday 21st
- December: Tuesday 3rd
Glasgow, 11 June 2019, at the Royal Faculty of Procurators (full-day event)
Inverness, 4 July 2019, at the offices of Macleod & MacCallum, 28 Queensgate (limited capacity)
Aberdeen, 5 July 2019, Old Senate Room, University of Aberdeen (full-day event)
Glasgow, 20 September 2019, at the Royal Faculty of Procurators (full-day event)
If you would like more information about future events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to receive your Smartcard with digital signature, you’ll need to provide the following in person at the registration event:
- Proof of identity documents (see guidance below)
- A six character PIN code and an eight character PUK code (both can be numeric or alphabetic). These are codes created by you - you’ll need to keep a record of them so we suggest making them memorable. If you lose your PUK code, you will need to repeat the Smartcard registration process in person to receive a new Smartcard.
- Details of an email address unique to you (i.e. not one shared with someone else).
- At the registration event, you will also need to sign the Smartcard user contract.
Proof of identity documentation
To collect your Smartcard with digital signature you will need to bring standard documentary evidence of your identity to a verification meeting. The documentation that you provide must contain your full name as indicated on the form you receive from us.
Photo ID issued by government bodies is always preferable. Government issued documents with a photograph are preferred and one of the following items will suffice:
- Valid signed passport (a foreign passport is acceptable, provided that the personal details are shown in the Latin alphabet)
- Valid photocard driving licence, either full or provisional (a foreign licence is acceptable, provided that the personal details are shown in the Latin alphabet)
- National identity card (for non-UK nationals, provided that the personal details are shown in the Latin alphabet)
- Firearms certificate or shotgun licence (with photo)
- ID card issued by the electoral office for Northern Ireland
If you do not have one of the above, then two other forms of non-photo ID may be accepted, so long as they were issued by government, a court/tribunal, a public sector body, a local authority, a bank or other financial institution or a professional body, and incorporate your full name and date of birth or address. These must be in English. Common examples of non-photo ID include:
- Valid old-style full driving licence (but not a provisional driving licence)
- Original or extract instrument of court appointment (e.g. as Executor, Judicial Factor) or court order giving the person’s name and business address
- Marriage certificate
- Civil partnership certificate
- Birth certificate
- Adoption certificate
- Divorce, separation or annulment papers
- HM Revenue & Customs tax notification or letter (relative to current year)
- Local authority council tax bill (valid for current year)
- Current bank or credit/debit card statement, issued by a regulated financial sector business (but not a statement printed off the Internet)
Photocopies/scanned copies of original documents and English translations of foreign documents are not acceptable.
If you have any queries regarding these requirements, please email email@example.com