Date: 8th May 2018
Time: 09:00 - 13:30
Law Society of Scotland
Atria One, 144 Morrison Street
3.5 verifiable CPD hours
With numerous news reports of Bitcoin rocketing (and occasionally plummeting) in value, it is unsurprising that blockchain and cryptocurrency has finally entered mainstream discourse. However, these concepts have taken on their own meaning and they look set to impact our lives in ways going far beyond Bitcoin. On the basis of recent developments in the financial sector, it’s possible that blockchain could transform the way transactions are carried out, and lawyers – particularly those with clients in finance and technology – would be wise to keep up to date with the way cryptocurrency and smart contracts are beginning to be used.
Beyond this, blockchain and crypto pose a number of fascinating questions such as:
- What are the ethics of this system?
- What will lawyers need to learn?
- Is the law as we know it ready to manage this new technology?
Join us as we explore the answers with some of this area's professional vanguards.
- Discover potential legal applications of blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Learn how other industries are marking use of blockchain solutions
- Review the ways in which blockchain might affect the law