Date: 4th May 2021 - 5th May 2021
CPD Hours: 6hoursJoin us online over the course of two mornings for insights, debate, and practical training given by experienced in-house lawyers and receive expert guidance from Law Society of Scotland colleagues.
6 hours verifiable CPD | across two mornings
Are you embarking on an in-house career?
Join us online over the course of two mornings for insights, debate, and practical training given by experienced in-house lawyers and receive expert guidance from Law Society of Scotland colleagues. As we continuously develop the course to suit your needs, we have included a mini-roundtable session and an interactive workshop that will allow you to discuss in-house practice, and learn more about in-house risk in ‘identifying risk and understanding your organisation’s risk appetite’.
This course will appeal to those who have recently moved in-house in both the public and private sectors. The programme has been specifically designed to support and guide new in-house solicitors or those going into a solo legal counsel role or a small in-house team.
We will explore the unique challenges faced by in-house communities, in both public and private sectors, and reflect upon the distinctive relationships with employers and different business functions.
The course will help answer questions such as:
- How do you succeed in the transition from private practice to in-house?
- What does it mean to advise an organisation with a whole new set of questions and expectations than those faced before?
You will also be able to share your experiences and participate in two facilitated group discussions applying ethical dilemmas and challenging internal dynamics to professional practice related case studies.
- How to identify in-house legal practice objectives and deliver them
- Developing your role from legal counsel to strategic business partner
- Alignment and understanding within your organisation
- Your relationship with the practice rules
- Ethics and key professional practice considerations in the in-house environment
- Client management: External legal services and internal teams
- The challenges facing other in-house legal teams and solutions
- Leadership and strategic communication
- In this shared keynote session, we welcome two experienced in-house solicitors to share their insights on the key characteristics, objectives of delivering advice and common challenges experienced as an in-house lawyer
- How to succeed in your new in-house role: Practical tips on affecting change, effective engagement and collaboration with other functions
This panel discussion will bring together speakers from session one and will provide an opportunity to pose questions on particular issues affecting your role and organisation.
During this facilitated session we will discuss a practical scenario with the aim of understanding:
• The main differences between in-house counsel and external counsel
• The advantages and challenges of each
- Embedding risk management by not necessarily talking about risk...
- Understanding a risk framework
- The impact of culture on risk management
- Getting to grips with risk appetite
During this facilitated workshop we will discuss case studies centred around:
• Conflict of interest
• Pressure to be commercial
• Identifying your client
• Whistle blowing
• Career development
"An invaluable day with a fascinating breadth and depth of speakers."
"Probably the best overall standard of speaker I've heard at a CPD event."
"Great event – I’m feeling much more confident in my in-house role as a result"
"A great opportunity to meet other in-house solicitors and share practical tips"
"very relatable to see experiences of others"
"speakers, excellent, engaging, interesting exciting"