Date: 20th May 2019
Time: 13:00 - 17:00
Law Society of Scotland
144 Morrison Street
CPD Hours: 3.5
3.5 hours verifiable CPD
Commercial lease plays a pivotal role in the context of Scotland’s economy, which has seen a steady increase in the number of transactions over the years. And yet, this area of commercial property has received very little statutory regulation, presenting landlords’ and tenants’ solicitors with major challenges and practical uncertainties in relation – in particular – to lease termination.
Come along to this seminar, where our expert speakers will guide you through the main aspects of commercial lease in Scotland and its comparison with English law, the practical issues that landlords and tenants inevitably face when bringing a lease to an end, and the implications of lease termination on the obligations of both parties.
Are you a solicitor specialising in this area of law? We offer specialist accreditation in a number of areas, including Commercial Leasing. Find out if you qualify see Specialist Accreditation.
At this seminar, you will:
- Identify the key aspects to keep in mind when negotiating and drafting a lease
- Learn about the main differences between Scottish and English law for commercial lease
- Get tips on how to avoid potential risks and common errors when bringing a lease to an end
- Gain complete understanding of the effect of lease termination on both parties’ obligations and liabilities
- Ann Stewart, Property and Professional Development Adviser, Shepherd + Wedderburn, Chair
- Stephanie Zak, Partner, Balfour + Manson
- Hugo Allan, Partner, Thorntons Law LLP
- Elaine N Brailsford, Partner, Commercial Disputes and Regulation, Shepherd and Wedderburn LLP
- Amir M Ismail, Associate, Holmes Mackillop
- Paul Kenneth, Managing Associate, Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP