Justice Mittal had an illustrious legal practice in all courts in Delhi and other judicial forums since 1981 and was invited to the Bench of the Delhi High Court as a Judge on 16th July 2004. She took charge as the Acting Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court on 14th April 2017, which position she held till August 2018. On 11th August 2018, Justice Gita Mittal was sworn in as the first woman Chief Justice for the State of Jammu & Kashmir.
Currently, Justice Gita Mittal is holding the following positions:
- Chairperson of the Broadcasting Contents Complaints Council (BCCC), an Independent self regulatory body set up by the Indian Broadcasting Foundation.
- Patron, Justice Leila Seth Foundation.
- National President, Indian Scout & Guides Fellowship, No.16,M.G. Marg, I.P. Estate, New Delhi-110002.
- On the advisory Board of SAMPARK, an NGO engaged in empowerment of women and migrant construction workers.
- Chairperson, Advisory Board of the Bangladesh India Mediators Forum [“BIMF”]
Justice Mittal has presided over several jurisdictions including PIL matters, the Original Side, Company Appeals, criminal appeals involving life and death sentence references; matters of the Armed Forces; Cooperative Societies; Criminal Contempt References; Criminal Appeals: Death References; Company Appeals; Writ Petitions challenging the constitutional validity of any Act or rule among other matters. Justice Mittal’s judgments had a widespread impact. Justice Mittal has been a Chancellor/Member, Governing Bodies, Advisory Boards/Academic Council of National Law University Delhi, Lady Shriram College for Women, National Law University Jodhpur, Law Centre India of Cornell University, Indian Law Institute and SAARC Law.