We have produced information, guides and advice to help you, our members, and your organisations promote equality and diversity and eliminate the gender pay gap. These include an Equal Pay Toolkit, our Parents in the Profession guides, and the Equality Standards.
There is also the opportunity to work in partnership with us in this area. To discuss this further please contact Charlotta Cedeqvist, Head of Business Development.
The Equality Standards, guides and other information are supplemented by regular blogs from experts and events covering key issues.
As the professional body for solicitors in Scotland, we have responsibilities to the profession, to the public, and as an employer.
To represent and protect these diverse groups, we recognise the need to:
- value the contribution from all who make up the population of Scotland
- take strength from the widest experience, knowledge and understanding it can access - both within and outwith our membership
- go beyond legal compliance by integrating diversity into all that we do
- promote the core values of diversity to the profession as a whole
We, alongside the legal profession, have various responsibilities in relation to equality and diversity covered by legislation and statutory codes.
- as employers
- as a regulator of the profession
- as providers of 'goods and services' (to the public).
We also have additional responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010 as a:
- 'public authority' in respect of our public functions
- service provider to the profession
- trade (membership) organisation
- qualifications body
You can view our key research in this area over the last 10 years, some looking at the whole sector and collecting data to let us assess change, and others looking at specific groups, such as minority ethnic solicitors, or specific issues, like bullying.
One of the biggest issues in this area currently is the gender pay gap. While our profession is not unique in facing the challenge of a gender pay gap, we want to continue having open and positive discussion about gender equality and what we can all do.
Take a look at the questions below and get involved in the conversation. Discuss them with colleagues and friends, tell us your views by email, or join the conversation in our social media groups using #LetsTalkProgression
- What benefits does diversity offer our profession?
- What can we do to promote thinking about gender equality?
- What can you do to promote diversity and challenge the gender pay gap?
- How can we ensure diversity at senior levels across the profession?
- Does your social or ethnic background affect your career options?
- What should we do to close the pay gap?
- How can you progress your career and have a family?
- Why do so many women in their 30s leave the profession?
- Why do so few men take up shared parental leave?
- Should we encourage more men to study law?