Disclosure Scotland launched a consultation on 25 April 2018 seeking views on proposals for the reform to the disclosure regime in Scotland, in particular simplifying and modernising the PVG scheme.
The scheme helps makes sure people whose behaviour makes them unsuitable to work with children and/or protected adults, cannot do “regulated work” with these vulnerable groups.
In summary, the proposals involve:
- simplifying the complex nature of the current disclosure system;
- making PVG membership mandatory for those in sensitive roles;
- making PVG membership time-limited: currently membership of the scheme lasts forever unless an individual decides to leave;
- making the disclosure system respond better to young people's circumstances;
- using digital technology to better and more efficiently meet customer needs.
The consultation will close on 18 July 2018.