Clients who would like advice on whether they have a valid claim can consult a member of the Pursuers' Panel, which consists of ten solicitors with expertise in dealing with professional negligence claims against other solicitors. The panel assists members of the public with advice about potential claims for negligence and will also pursue well-founded claims on their behalf.
The panel consists of ten solicitors selected by the Society on the basis of their expertise in dealing with professional negligence claims to assist members of the public with advice about negligence claims against solicitors and, where appropriate, to assist solicitors already advising members of the public in connection with the handling of negligence claims against other solicitors.
Each member of the panel is available to deal with negligence claims against other solicitors on an individual basis. However, where a claimant is already represented by a solicitor in relation to a negligence claim against another solicitor, members of the panel will not provide advice to or act for that claimant, unless the existing solicitor refers the matter to a member of the panel. It should be emphasised that members of the panel are happy to receive referrals from other solicitors, either to handle the whole claim, or to assist with advice in relation to any aspect of a claim
The ten Scottish solicitors on the panel are:
- Stephen Blane, A & W M Urquhart, 16 Heriot Row, Edinburgh, EH3 6HR. Telephone: 0131 556 2896
- Mark Thorley, Thorley Stephenson, 51 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1LL. Telephone: 0131 556 9599
- Lyall G. W. Moodie, Lyall Moodie Consultant Solicitor, 30 Church Crescent, Dumfries, DG1 1DF. Telephone: 01387 216200
- Iain Nicol, Balfour+Manson LLP, 54-66 Frederick Street, Edinburgh, EH2 1LS. Telephone: 0131 516 8954
- Fiona M Stephen, Anderson Strathern, 1 Rutland Court, Edinburgh, EH3 8EY. Telephone: 0131 270 7700
- Neil Fraser, Raeburn Christie Clark & Wallace 12-16 Albyn Place Aberdeen AB10 1PS Telephone: 01224 332400
- William Boyle, Boyles, 15 Albert Square, Dundee, DD1 1DJ. Telephone: 01382 221214
- John Barrie, Morton Fraser, Quartermile Two, 2 Lister Square, Edinburgh, EH3 9GL. Telephone: 0131 247 1000
- Ian Anderson, Ian Anderson, Solicitor Advocate, 9 Craighill Gardens, EH10 5PY. Telephone: 0131 202 6921
Timothy J Edward, Maclay Murray & Spens, Quartermile One, 15 Lauriston Place, EH3 9EP, Telephone: 0330 222 0050
Each member of the panel can be contacted through their own individual firms whose telephone numbers are given. The panel members are not employed by the Society and are independent of the Society.
Yes, all members of the panel will charge professional fees although some members of the panel will provide advice under the civil legal aid advice and assistance scheme where it applies. However, there may be difficulties in obtaining legal aid for such advisory work from the Scottish Legal Aid Board.