Promoting alternative dispute resolution in Scotland
We are working in collaboration with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) to help promote the use of arbitration and other forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR). With recent disruption to court services, ADR is an attractive option for many clients.
We believe that one of the best ways in which we can promote the use of ADR is to provide high quality training to enable aspiring ADR professionals to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge in this field.
Between us, we provide a range of training, qualifications and accreditations ranging from entry level learning opportunities through to CIArb Diplomas and on to specialist accreditation by the Law Society.
What the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators can offer
CIArb provides a range of training courses leading to qualifications in arbitration, mediation and construction adjudication, and to support career development:
- Introduction courses – covering the principles, processes and procedures of ADR. These courses lead to Associate membership (ACIArb).
- Pathway courses – supporting delegates to build their knowledge and skills in particular ADR disciplines. These courses lead to Member or Fellow status (MCIArb or FCIArb).
- Diplomas – in-depth training from highly experienced tutors. These prestigious Diplomas lead to Member or Fellow status (MCIArb or FCIArb).
- On-demand courses – ready when you are! Ranging from mediation to award writing.
- On-going Learning – designed to help practitioners deepen their knowledge and skills and stay informed and up-to-date.
What the Law Society of Scotland can offer
As well as our CPD seminars and training sessions in dispute resolution, we accredit those working in arbitration and mediation providing recognition for practitioners with greater experience and expertise. Accreditation acts as a hallmark of expertise that clients can trust – increasing your potential for fees and referrals and strengthening career prospects. Click on the links below for more details
- Accredited Mediator – providing accreditation for family mediators and commercial mediators
- Accredited Specialist in Arbitration Law – recognising solicitors who have a high level of expertise in arbitration law
- Approved Solicitor Arbitrator – recognising those who have achieved accreditation as an accredited specialist in arbitration law and have undertaken additional formal training such as Fellowship of the CIArb or equivalent experience.