Develop a strong understanding of cyber security while earning recognition as a Law Society of Scotland Certified Specialist.This 16 hour course will give you a more comprehensive set of skills and knowledge in cyber security, and help you to take the next step in your career.
The course is designed with Scottish solicitors in mind, but is also open to non-members, and participants do not need to have a technical background.
|Wednesday 12 May - 11am - 12.10pm||Online||Data Protection Webinar (1 hour)|
|Tuesday 18 May, 1pm - 4pm||Online||Cyber Threat Awareness Seminar|
|Thursday 20 May, 10am - 4pm||Online||Managing Cyber Risk Seminar|
|Tuesday 25th May, 11am - 4pm||Online||Playbooks: A Practical Approach|
|Friday 28 May||Online||Assignment submission deadline|
The course is priced at £960 + VAT and consists of 16 hours of verified CPD as well as an optional four hours of private study materials. Completing it fulfills your CPD requirements for the year, including the compulsory risk management component.
Please note there are only 16 spaces available.
The three seminars that form part of course are delivered in partnership with the Cyber Academy, bringing years of expertise from Edinburgh Napier University to the legal profession.
- Sign up for the certified course in Cyber Security
- Complete introductory pre-training online module in cyber resilience (1 hr verified CPD - fulfills compulsory risk management CPD obligation)
- Watch our 'Cybersecurity in the Covid-19 Era' on demand webinar (1 hr verified CPD)
- Attend three live online webinars, 'Cyber Threat Awareness for Law Firms', 'Managing Cyber Risk for Law Firms' and 'Playbooks: A Practical Approach' delivered by the Cyber Academy (12 hrs verified CPD)
- Attend one live online webinar on Data Protection issues with Laura Irvine, Partner, Davidson Chalmers Stewart (1 hr verified CPD)
- Online submission of assignment (1 hr verified CPD)
- Certification in Cyber Security awarded with use of our marque
Optional online private study consolidation package (4 hr private study CPD).
Cyber Resilience online module
- Understand the cyber threat landscape and why organisations must adopt safe cyber practices
- Identify the measures an organisation needs to secure their digital footprint
- Understand techniques used by cyber criminals in an attack and how to protect against them
- Use modern information technology software safely and responsibly
- Identify the steps to take if a breach of security occurs
Cybersecurity in the COVID-19 Era online webinar
Cyber threats are a harsh reality, and no individual or organisation is immune. Law firms around the world are a primary target, as the custodians of sensitive information and money.
This informative and educating session covers the increased risks from phishing, domain squatting and other scams online in this new era.
You will automatically receive these modules when you register for the course. Please get in touch with email@example.com if you have any issues.
Data Protection Post-Brexit
Wednesday 12 May - 11am - 12.10pm
This 1 hour live webinar will provide practical guidance and updates on the key issues and considerations that you need to keep in mind around data protection and international data transfers following the end of the transition period.
Our speaker Laura Irvine, Partner at Davidson Chalmers Stewart, will offer expert insight into:
• Retained data protection law and what has changed
• International transfers and adequacy
• The impact of Schrems II
Cyber Threat Awareness for Law Firms
Tuesday 18 May, 1pm - 4pm
Cyber threats are a harsh reality, and no individual or organisation is immune. Law firms around the world are a primary target, as the custodians of sensitive information and money. Every firm, large or small must protect their client accounts, confidentiality, level of funds in bank, with awareness of the frequency of transactions.
This course is an informative and educating session, that will introduce you to cyber threats you never believed you were exposed to. We shall be discussing:
- The different kinds of cyber threat vectors and actors
- The difference between internal and external threats
- How social engineering works and how easily you can become a phishing victim
- How you can monitor if your personal and business emails and other personal data are involved in a data breach
- How your devices leak information about you and your firm
- The risks of using social media and dating websites/app
- Is your cat the source of your breach?
- Cases studies of breaches in law firms
- Cyber Incident: Are you ready to deal with it?
3 hours verifiable CPD.
Managing Cyber Risk for Law Firms
Thursday 20 May, 10am - 4pm
Law firms have an additional risk of holding very sensitive information as well as money. Unlike the common misconception, the smaller the law firm, the higher the risk.
What would you do if your firm was attacked now? Do you have a plan prepared? This course will prepare you for incident response.
- Cyber Vectors
- Who and how will go after a law firm?
- Training: Minimise your firm’s digital exposure & get ahead in the game
- The Peltzman Effect. Risk Compensation theory. Why do people become more careless?
- The need for preparation: Risk & Vulnerabilities assessment
- The need for preparation: Cyber Incident Response Planning
- Preparing for an incident
- Choosing a response team
- Respond, evaluate and re-train
- Random forensic checks
- E-Exit Interviews
- Introduction to PLAYBOOKS. Preparation material for Seminar 3
5 hours verifiable CPD
Playbooks: A Practical Approach
Tuesday 25 May, 11am - 4pm
Seminar will follow on from the previous two and expand on the content and structure of Playbooks.
- Revision on CIRP and Playbooks
- Format and structure of a playbook
- Building your own Playbook. Attendees will work in groups to prepare a Playbook in an area of their choice. This will be achieved through collaborative online tools.
- Presentation of Playbooks, discussion and scrutiny by the rest of the class.
- Lessons learned.
The majority of this module will be collaborative work and discussions.
4 hours verifiable CPD
Course tutor: Basil Manoussos, MSc,PGC,BSc,AAS,MBCS.
Gain 4 extra hours of private study materials to enhance and consolidate your knowledge in the context of your own organisation.
Materials include content from:
- National Cyber Security Centre
- Law Society of Scotland Privacy Committee