Date: 25th January 2024 - 29th February 2024
CPD Hours: 20hoursBy becoming a Tech-Informed Lawyer you will be equipped with the key skills and knowledge to better navigate technology in a rapidly changing business world.
We all recognise that technology, now dominating headlines and becoming a increasing presence in our professional lives, plays a pivotal role in the effective practice of law. Nevertheless, it can often be a source of frustration, mystery, and missed opportunities for lawyers.
Our newest Certification Course is designed for lawyers across all practice areas, regardless of technological competency. The aim is to create an inclusive and engaging experience for lawyers who want to learn more about legal technology and the practical ways that it can benefit you and your firm. We will not only articulate why legal tech is important and will continue to grow in dominance, but also explain how to implement these changes regardless of your firm's size or background. Through equipping you with both practical skills and a good working knowledge of the field, this course will enable you to return to your firms with abilities and insight that can enhance your personal productivity, your team's efficiency, and even the output of your firm.
By becoming a Tech-Informed lawyer, you will be better prepared to navigate a rapidly changing business world, develop highly valued skills to propel your career and business forward, and be in an optimal position to serve your clients in the modern way that they expect.
The course is split into two phases:
Weeks 1 to 3: 'Where are we now' with legal tech, the current landscape, understanding the key concepts including the use of AI.
Weeks 3 - 6: 'Getting practical', embedding your learning into the practical context by building skills to be able to use tech to impact your work, firm and clients.
The course is made up of 6 short online interactive tutorials (12 hours CPD), a written assignment (4 hours CPD) and 4 hours of private study. Successful completion of this course will also result in Law Society of Scotland Certification valid for 3 years before renewal.
Completing the course fulfils your CPD requirements for the year. To ensure the most valuable and interactive learning experience places are limited to 20 delegates per cohort.
|Thursday 25 January, 1 - 3pm||Online||What Tech is Around You? The changing role of technology in your legal career and new legal tech roles|
|Thursday 1 February, 1 - 3pm||Online||Why Do Many Lawyers Not Like Tech? Why your clients want tech-informed lawyers and what they expect|
|Thursday 8 February, 1 - 3pm||Online||It's What Everyone is Talking About...AI, Chat GPT, Generative AI, Proprietary LLMS and what they can do for you|
|Thursday 15 February, 1 - 3pm||Online||How to be an 'Agent of Change' in your Legal Practice: Why do projects fail? And what can be learned so you don't|
|Thursday 22 February, 1 - 3pm||Online||How to Build a Product to Improve an Area of Work|
|Thursday 29 February, 1 - 3pm||Online||What Have We Learned and What Lies Ahead|
More speakers to be announced in due course.
- Introduction to the course and overview of the legal tech scene in UK
- Defining legal technology and the benefits/opportunities it should bring
- Exploring different legal technologies - case management software, AI contract analysis, eDiscovery, etc.
- Exploring the emerging legal tech roles you will work with in your legal career
- Your “tech stack” - tools you use and tools you have already you could use.
- Overview of common barriers and misconceptions.
- The importance of bridging the tech-knowledge gap. Using tech to communicate and avoid complaints
- Identifying and realising tech benefits. Understanding clients’ expectations in the age of digitalization.
- "Traditional” AI and Generative AI: What`s the difference?
- Proprietary LLMs: An introduction to Law Practice Management systems and how they can enhance efficiency.
- Strategies for driving change and innovation in your firm.
- Common pitfalls in legal tech implementation.
- Case studies: Learning from past failures.
- Strategies for successful project management and implementation.
- Introduction to app development for lawyers.
- Practical steps in ideation, design, and development of a legal app/product.
- Learning review, knowledge sharing across the cohort
- Outline of the assessment and Innovation Prize
Details of the final assignment will be released during the course. Successful completion of the course results in certification as a Tech-Informed Lawyer awarded with use of our marque for your website, social channels and e-signature.
"I found this training course really interesting and I especially liked that it was cut down into manageable chunks of time so I could watch it when was suitable for me rather than in one big 2 hour chunk of time."
"All of the speakers were excellent but Ally Thomson from Hey Legal was a brilliant host."