The Law Society of Scotland has launched a school campaign to challenge students’ views of a typical solicitor and highlight the diverse backgrounds of people entering the law.
The One Profession, Many Journeys campaign features a number of legal professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences, who have shared their unique journey to becoming a solicitor and why they chose that career path.
The role models featured in the campaign include:
- Amanda Millar, President of the Law Society of Scotland
- Ryan McCuaig, a Trainee Solicitor at Thorntons Law LLP and Chair of the board of Who Cares? Scotland
- Joseph Boyd, a Solicitor and owner of mixed court practice law firm Joseph G Boyd & Co Court Lawyers in Edinburgh
- Marika Franceschi, Partner at MacRoberts LLP and Accredited Specialist in Family Law
- Paman Singh, a Senior Litigation Solicitor with Law at Work
Elaine MacGlone, Equality and Diversity Manager at the Law Society of Scotland, said: “No-one with the ability, drive and desire to be a Scottish solicitor should be prevented from doing so. One of the factors that can present a barrier is a perception that a career in law is only for the privileged few. That is not the case and we welcome and encourage anyone to pursue this path.
“As a lack of identifiable role models can discourage young people in their career choices, we are engaging with schools through this virtual campaign and posters featuring all our participants.
“We are delighted that these colleagues have chosen to participate. Each brings their experiences and backgrounds to enhancing and making a success of their professional roles.”
For schools or pupils who would like to learn more, please contact us at email@example.com.