Every year we produce a set of statistics about the traineeship which allow us to take a 'temperature check' of entry to the profession.
These statistics are designed for anyone curious about the traineeship market, whether you're a job seeker trying to get a steer for levels of competition or potential opportunities, or an employer wanting to get a feel for the traineeship market.
These statistics represent the number of traineeships that the Law Society of Scotland registered in the practice year 2018/19. Please note that the practice year runs from 1 November - 31 October each year. We release updated statistics annually in January/ February.
This year's figures have slightly increased from previous years.
- 591 traineeships commenced in the practice year 2018/19, this is four more traineeships than 2017/2018.
- Over 90% of those admitted in the last practice year are now employed as a solicitor, in line with last year's figure.
- 12% of traineeships are in-house, in line with previous years.
- The gender split for traineeships commenced is 68% female and 32% male.
- The number of traineeships at firms with 1-5 partners (188) is eight fewer than the number at firms with 31+ partners (196).
- The number of traineeships registered in Edinburgh has risen by 4%, from 211 to 240.
The infographics below give more of an illustrative picture about trends and more specific data.
Problems viewing the charts below? You may need to update your browser. Or, you can download a PDF version of our trainee statistics here.
If you would like to discuss any aspect of our traineeship statistics, or the traineeship more generally please contact:
Katie Wood, Head of Admissions at the Law Society of Scotland
0131 476 8162