The following are confirmed dates of Signature Sessions for members to obtain their Smartcard with QES. Please check back regularly for new dates and locations – these will be published here as soon as they are available. The annual fee for a Smartcard QES is £110 + VAT. (total £132) The fee for the first year is payable when you book your Signature Session; the booking system will take you through the process, including a payment site. Subsequent payments can be made through the members’ site and you will receive email reminders before they are due.
Before you make a booking, refer to the Important Information below, please.
We have Signature Sessions at our offices in Morrison Street, and the process lasts about 5 to 10 minutes. These dates have limited capacity, so please follow the link for the date you prefer to book yourself a spot:
- June: Wednesday 1st, Thursday 16th and Wednesday 29th
- July: Thursday 14th
- September: Wednesday 7th
- October: Tuesday 4th and Wednesday 19th
- November: Wednesday 2nd, Tuesday 15th and Wednesday 30th
- December: Tuesday 13th
We are currently sourcing venues outside Edinburgh to accommodate members further away. If you are willing to host a Signature Session in your offices instead, for both your firm and other solicitors in your area, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
- Glasgow: Thursday, 9 June, in the offices of Addleshaw Goddard, West Regent Street
- Kirkcaldy: Wednesday, 22 June, at the offices of Fords Daly Legal, Begg Road
- Oban: Friday, 1 July, at the offices of E Thornton & Co, Lochside Street
New locations and dates will be published here.
Please consider the following when booking your spot at any of the above dates.
You can only receive a Smartcard with QES if you have previously uploaded a photograph and submitted the online form.
Any photograph we may already have that is older than five years needs to be replaced; we cannot reuse it for a new card. Since the Smartcard with QES also works as ID, the image printed onto it must be a current likeness of you.
Submitting a new photo is now an online process. You get access to the form after logging into the members' site with your personal credentials; "Smartcard" is on the left-hand side menu.
If you are not sure when you last submitted, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will confirm this for you.
Registration for any of the above Signature Sessions closes 4 days before the event. We need this time to check submissions, prep & print cards, confirm bookings, etc. We cannot produce a Smartcard with QES ad hoc on the day of the Session.
Without a registration, you will not be able to obtain a Smartcard with QES at any of the above dates.
In order to receive your Smartcard with QES, you’ll need to provide the following in person at the Signature Session:
- Proof of identity documents (see guidance below).
- A six character PIN code and an eight character PUK code (both can be numeric or alphabetic). These are codes created by you, and they are stored only on the chip of your Smartcard. If you lose your PUK code, you will need to repeat the process in person to receive a new card & digital signature.
- Details of an email address unique to you (i.e. not one shared with someone else).
- At the event, you will also need to sign the Smartcard user contract. This will be done electronically, but please familiarise yourself with it beforehand (see below).
To collect your Smartcard with QES you will need to bring standard documentary evidence of your identity to a verification meeting. The documentation that you provide must contain your full name as indicated in our records.
If you already have a Smartcard or Lawscot ID card, then this will suffice. Please bring this to the Session, as we will collect and keep this kind of ID when exchanging it for a Smartcard with QES. However, if this is your first Smartcard, or you have lost the previous one, the following applies:
Photo ID issued by government bodies is always preferable. Government issued documents with a photograph are preferred and one of the following items will suffice:
- Valid signed passport (a foreign passport is acceptable, provided that the personal details are shown in the Latin alphabet)
- Valid photocard driving licence, either full or provisional (a foreign licence is acceptable, provided that the personal details are shown in the Latin alphabet)
- National identity card (for non-UK nationals, provided that the personal details are shown in the Latin alphabet)
- Firearms certificate or shotgun licence (with photo)
- ID card issued by the electoral office for Northern Ireland
If you do not have one of the above, then two other forms of non-photo ID may be accepted, so long as they were issued by government, a court/tribunal, a public sector body, a local authority, a bank or other financial institution or a professional body, and incorporate your full name plus date of birth or address. These must be in English. Common examples of non-photo ID include:
- Valid old-style full driving licence (but not a provisional driving licence), both parts
- Original or extract instrument of court appointment (eg as Executor, Judicial Factor) or court order giving the person’s name and business address
- Marriage certificate
- Civil partnership certificate
- Birth certificate
- Adoption certificate
- Divorce, separation or annulment papers
- HM Revenue & Customs tax notification or letter (relative to current year)
- Local authority council tax bill (valid for current year)
- Current bank or credit/debit card statement, issued by a regulated financial sector business (but not a statement printed off the internet)
Photocopies/scanned copies of original documents and English translations of foreign documents are not acceptable.
If you have any queries regarding these requirements, please email email@example.com
When you collect your Smartcard with QES, you will also sign a contract concerning its use and your and our obligations. This will be done electronically, but you can find a copy here to familiarise yourself with it first. If you have further questions, please check the FAQs or contact firstname.lastname@example.org