CPD Hours: 6hours
6 hours verifiable CPD
Watch a recording of our March 2021 Adults with Incapacity, Guardianship and Elder Client Conference.
The programme focused on updates and practical guidance on: AWI law and practice, guardianships and powers of attorney, and dealing with elderly clients.
Our expert speakers explore the risks, changes, challenges and opportunities brought about by Covid-19 for AWI law and practice, discuss the key issues in contentious powers of attorneys, and provide you with insight into the main issues that practitioners face when dealing with and advising elderly and vulnerable clients.
- The impact of Covid-19 in AWI law and practice, and the challenges of assessing capacity in a virtual setting
- Key issues around contentious aspects in powers of attorney
- Guidance on trusts and protecting vulnerable beneficiaries
- Best practice guidance to avoid complaints
- Insight into financial abuse of the elderly, client care and care planning to preserve assets
- The impact of Covid-19 on AWI law and practice: risks, changes and opportunities
- Reforming AWI law: where are we now?
- Case law update
- Defining capacity
- Main issues and challenges in the current situation
- Best practice tips to avoid common errors
- Case studies
- How can an Attorney be held to account whilst the granter is still alive?
- How can a former Attorney be held to account after the granter has died?
- Who can hold a former Attorney to account after the granter has died?
- Does the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 require to be amended in relation to the accountability of Attorneys?
- Elder abuse and financial elder abuse: possible indicators and risk factors, the scale of the problem, and context
- Overview of the issues commonly reported in relation to financial abuse (particularly in relation to abuse and misuse of PoA and guardianship)
- The wider support framework for victims of elder abuse
- Advice in helping to prevent financial abuse
- Current rates and allowances
- What can legitimately be done?
- Other options
"Another enjoyable and interesting conference. Excellent speakers with great knowledge and expertise"
"Excellent, relevant topics and speakers"
"Another successful and enjoyable Law Society Conference. there was a wide variation of speakers which meant there was something for everyone. Highly recommended"
"Interesting and informative programme"
"A most informative course which makes you review your practice and develop ideas for the year ahead"