A charity which enables talented students who have faced significant financial barriers to study law has been nominated as the ‘Most Innovative Development’ in the 2018 Association Excellence Awards and the team behind the charity, are nominated as ‘Best Team’.
The Lawscot Foundation has been nominated alongside six other initiatives and is the only charity to have reached the finals in their category.
The Careers and Outreach team at the Law Society of Scotland is responsible for the running of the Foundation and is a finalist in the Best Association Team category.
The Law Society of Scotland set up the Lawscot Foundation in 2016 to help remove financial barriers which prevent gifted students from accessing the legal profession and pursue their dream of going to university.
Less than two full operational years later, 17 students are currently studying for the law degree in Scotland, as a consequence of their own talents and determination and made possible by the financial and mentoring support of the Lawscot Foundation.
Heather McKendrick, Head of Careers and Outreach at the Law Society, said: “We are absolutely thrilled that the Lawscot Foundation has been nominated in the Most Innovative Development by an Association category.
“We are so proud of the Lawscot Foundation and all that has been achieved in less than two years. But in particular, we are proud of the gifted young people, whose talents and moving stories are what drives the Foundation’s work and makes it all worthwhile.
“For the Careers and Outreach team to be nominated in the Best Association Team category is the icing on the cake. We have a great team of motivated and creative individuals and we are fortunate to be involved in such a wide variety of exciting projects, such as Street Law and Career Mentoring. Thanks to everyone including all the pupils, students and members of the legal community who make our work possible and best of luck to all the other nominees.”
The awards ceremony will be hosted by magician and presenter Ben Hanlin, in London on Friday 12 October to recognise and reward the achievements of UK trade bodies, professional membership organisations and associations.
The Lawscot Foundation supports the next generation of solicitors in Scotland, providing financial help through an annual bursary available to talented students from less-advantaged backgrounds in Scotland who are studying a law degree (known as the LLB) and plan to complete the diploma in professional legal practice at an accredited university in Scotland. The Lawscot Foundation also offers mentoring throughout by an experienced Scottish solicitor; trainee solicitor or law student to help enhance the student’s confidence, skills and knowledge.
You can find out more about the on its website.
The Association Excellence Awards were founded in 2014 to recognise and reward individuals, teams and initiatives and highlight excellence in how trade bodies operate and serve their members.
The 2018 judges are made up of over 20 CEOs and senior-level managers.
You can find out more about the work of the Careers and Outreach team on our website.
Our Lawscot News member communication received a Mark of Excellence in the 2018 Best Association Newsletter or magazine category and Street Law Project was nominated in the Best Training Initiative category.
Other finalists in the Most Innovative Development by an Association category are,
- Council of British Chambers of Commerce in Europe – COBCOE Connects B2B digital platform for member network
- Institution of Lighting Professionals – Subscription Renewal Poems
- International Compliance Association – ICA Advanced Certificate in Practical Customer Due Diligence
- National Housing Federation – Creating our Future innovation programme
- Research Quality Association – RQA Board Restructuring
- The European Specialist Sports Nutrition Alliance – Working to improve consumer safety and the reputation of the industry
Other finalists in the Best Association team are
- Chartered Association of Business Schools
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations – Finance Team
- Coeliac UK – Membership and Marketing Team
- Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
- Self Storage Association UK
- The Federation of Microbiological Societies – The FEMS Team
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology – FIRST® LEGO® League International Open Championship Team