Our paper The future impact and effect of Brexit on Scots Law and the Scottish legal system seeks to provide an in-depth study and analysis into how the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union will impact upon the Scottish legal system.
This study aims to understand the effect that Brexit will have on:
- The law of Scotland, its sources and its legal system
- The rights of people living and working in Scotland
- The challenges Brexit will present to the legal system
- The opportunities Brexit will present to the legal system
This will assist us in developing our policy work and in reflecting on developments in the law and legal practice arising from the UK’s departure from the EU.
The paper sets out to:
- Provide a brief summation of the development of Scots law and the Scottish legal system
- Examine the process and legislative developments arising from the UK’s exit from the EU with particular reference to the Scottish legal system
- Analyse the impact which these legislative changes will have on the Scottish legal system
- Assess the impact these legislative changes will have on those studying Scots law, the Scottish solicitor profession and their clients, and the public at large
We are grateful for support from the Legal Education Foundation whose funding has allowed us to dedicate the time and resource necessary to undertake this work.