Legal expenses insurance and choice of lawyer
The European Court of Justice has answered a preliminary reference from Austria concerning the Directive on Legal Expenses Insurance. The Austrian court asked whether this directive should be interpreted as precluding a clause entitling the insurer to select the legal representative for insurance claims concerning losses suffered by a large number of insured persons from the same event. The court held that article 4(1)(a) of the directive must be interpreted as prohibiting the legal expenses insurer from reserving the right, where a large number of insured persons suffer loss as a result of the same event, to select the legal representative of all the insured persons concerned.
IP protection measures
The Commission adopted a communication on 14 September that seeks to increase protection for intellectual property rights. It sets down non-legislative measures in order to supplement the existing legislative framework and augment enforcement across the internal market. The initiatives include the establishment of an EU Counterfeiting and Piracy Observatory to collate information from all member states, increased administrative cooperation through national coordinators, and the provision of aid to voluntary arrangements between stakeholders.
In this issue
- The Combined Standard Clauses (2009 edition)
- Preserving a legal inheritance: settlement rights in the "Occupied Palestinian Territories"
- The European Court and the duty to investigate deaths
- Chief Executive's SGM address
- Shelter's online resources
- Musical copyright and contract
- The international swap shop
- Headline fortnight
- The Gill Report? What's not to like?
- Solicitor advocates and conflicts of interest
- Settlement in the West Bank
- Package deal
- RoS = economic value
- Defining the future
- Global leader?
- Dog's chance
- Coulsfield rules OK
- Money and your life
- Experts on the case
- At the hub, 10 years on
- Guardians: don't look to the Fund
- From the Brussels office
- Ask Ash
- Making the most of ABS
- Planning for growth
- The perils of posting
- ARTL: friend or foe?
- Where privacy prevails
- How was it for you?
- Agreeing rescues with creditors
- Adopting new solutions
- Divorce for gender change
- Scottish Solicitors' Discipline Tribunal
- Book reviews
- Website review
- A safe pair of hands tops the bill
- Law out of step