Probationary periods not covered by EU law
In a case referred from Spain, the Court of Justice decided that the contract of an employee subject to a one-year probationary period could not be categorised as a fixed-term contract, and that probationary periods fell outside EU law and therefore outside the court’s jurisdiction, as article 151 TFEU which sets out EU objectives in social policy does not contain any specific reference to probationary periods in employment contracts.
Views returned on trade secrets proposals
A draft report on the European Commission’s proposed directive on the protection of trade secrets largely supports the Commission’s proposal to introduce a set of instruments enabling businesses to protect themselves and assert their rights in cases of industrial espionage, but makes it clear that trade secrets should only be protected where the person relying on them has acted with a legitimate purpose in view. Concerns remain about the possible freezing effects that the proposal could have on worker mobility, particularly that of the most qualified workers who are likely to come into contact with sensitive information.
In this issue
- Keeping Government responsible
- Contempt, or good faith?
- Reform – 170 years on
- Employee ownership: adding trust
- The gender gap: coming clean
- Cyber risk - are you covered?
- Reading for pleasure
- Opinion: Graham Sykes
- Book reviews
- President's column
- Land Register completion update
- People on the move
- Tools for today's titles
- Those elusive profits
- The Budget and the crystal ball
- Child of our time?
- Elephant in very many rooms
- Video: the best evidence?
- Who would be a legislator?
- Sustainability: applying the presumption
- A woman’s work…
- Scottish Solicitors Discipline Tribunal
- Living the dram
- Land information: a one-stop shop
- From the Brussels office
- Registered paralegals: what trends?
- Law reform roundup
- MHO reports – please help with timing data
- Plaque marks WW1 lawyer dead
- Selling yourself from day one
- View from the grass roots
- Keep it in the family
- Ask Ash
- When cooling-off kicks in
- Bottom line, the accountants are coming
- First day in the office