The Scottish Solicitors Benevolent Fund golf outing moves across the Forth to Leven Links this year on Friday 21 August, once again kindly sponsored by the First Scottish Group and Legal Post (Scotland) Ltd (Ross Ireland writes).
Dating from 1820, the Leven Golfing Society (www.levengolfingsociety.co.uk), the 11th oldest golf club in the world, boasts one of the best and purest links courses in Scotland, an Open Championship qualifying venue. It is also the setting for two of the most prestigious amateur events, the Scottish Champion of Champions and the Standard Life Amateur Champion Gold Medal. Now they have the privilege of hosting us!
Hopefully last year’s winners from Register House will have been too preoccupied with advance notices, plans reports and their own version of the one-shot rule to be bothered with honing their golfing skills to retain the trophy yet again.
Leven Links should provide quite a challenge. The signature hole is the 18th, which in a Bunkered magazine poll was recently voted the second hardest finishing hole in Scotland, behind the 18th at Carnoustie – it is an absolute nightmare if played into the wind, which is almost guaranteed!
For those up to the challenge, teams of four drawn from firms, faculties and indeed anyone with the remotest link with the profession are welcome to come along and put themselves to another great test of links golf.
In this issue
- Weighing the risks
- Private parking fines – are they enforceable?
- Scotland – home of (dangerous) golf
- Shareholder details: the right to refuse
- Perils of the owner-occupied croft (fuller version)
- Reading for pleasure
- Opinion: Thomas Ross
- Book reviews
- President's column
- Land Register completion: one year in
- People on the move
- Rights: whose final say?
- The word on the street
- Screen test
- Making the best of mediation
- Keep up the payments
- The right priorities
- When reputation is not enough…
- Sports justice – being seen to be done?
- Source of disputes
- CML Handbook: the new deal
- Perils of the owner-occupied croft
- In-house and in-tune in the Commonwealth
- Stair Society seeks new blood
- New Build Standard Clauses revised
- Law reform roundup
- Leven's last hole rarely in benevolent mood
- Year of the new look
- AML just became simpler
- "My time is valuable!" Oh really?
- Learning opportunity
- Ask Ash
- Technology: slave or master?