How many years have you been a paralegal?
I have been a paralegal since 1992.
What made you pursue a career as a paralegal?
I wanted to play a more involved role and help support colleagues. This was before paralegals were commonplace and I was lucky to be in a supportive firm who valued the role. I have always been keen to learn and I hold five paralegal qualifications.
Why did you decide to join the committee?
I believe in the paralegal role and accreditation; I wanted to give back and be part of the ongoing development, support and public awareness of the position.
Have your perceptions of the Society changed since?
I am quite new to the committee so have not had much involvement as yet. It is interesting to see how Society committees work and their support of paralegals.
What main issues do you think face the committee at present?
Looking into other practice areas for accreditation, and encouraging public and professional awareness of the role and abilities of paralegals.
What’s your top tip for accredited paralegals?
Keep your skills up to date and continue to learn as an ongoing process.
If you could change only one thing for accredited paralegals, what would it be?
I would be interested in the use of ID cards and digital signatures for certain documents and forms.
In this issue
- Time to promote shared care?
- Client medical records: a matter of right
- Search for the route to healing
- Rights after “same roof”
- Are you a qualified creditor?
- Reading for pleasure
- Opinion: Allan Jamieson
- Book reviews
- Profile: John Laughland
- President's column
- ScotLIS update
- People on the move
- Common law and artificial life
- FAIs: addressing the concerns
- Challenging times
- Shared humanity
- Cases of the paperless will
- How to manage your legal practice for success
- Fairness v Convenience
- Moorov then and now
- Personal licences: the uncertainty continues
- Is Airbnb use a planning matter?
- Insolvency Rules: a positive realignment
- IR35 compliance moves up the ladder
- “Best interests” in the balance
- Scottish Solicitors' Discipline Tribunal
- PSG tackles index-linked rent reviews
- Finding the right seat
- Public policy highlights
- Accredited paralegal update
- Events, and more, for members
- Accredited Paralegal Committee profile
- Second thoughts on executor declarations
- Client communication – a continuous journey
- Reflections from the Commission
- Love my tender
- Ask Ash