What is your practice area?
EU and competition.
What motivates you to get up on a Monday morning?
There is something new in my job every day.
What’s your top tip for new lawyers?
If you’re worried about something, share your concern with a colleague.
How long have you been a member of the Council and how did you become involved?
About three years. I’m interested in professional regulation and good governance, and generally in where our profession is going.
In what specific capabilities have you served (office bearer, committee or other)?
I’m on the Competition Law Committee.
What have been the highlights for you personally?
It has been very interesting to observe how non-solicitor members of the Council bring a new perspective. I believe the Law Society of Scotland is very professionally run with an excellent team.
What do you see as the main issues that Council has to address at present?
Solicitors are concerned, I think, about the future of the profession, especially as ABSs begin to take off in England & Wales. We have to make sure that the core values of our profession – access to justice, duties to our clients – are protected. The badge of solicitor is still a valuable one associated with high standards of integrity and we need to make sure that continues.
If you could change only one thing for your members, what would it be?
Strive to ensure fair access, on the basis of merit, to the profession and to progression through the profession to positions of influence.
What keeps you busy outside of work?
I’m a contemporary dancer and active in politics.
In this issue
- Cold case examination of early childhood evidence
- Incentivising employee ownership
- The diversity imperative
- Towards a more inclusive democracy
- Journal magazine Index 2013
- Reading for pleasure
- Opinion: Campbell Read
- Book reviews
- President's column
- RoS's services for solicitors
- Issues for the Union
- Critical mass
- Is this where it ends?
- Testing capacity
- Making plans for auto-enrolment
- Loosening the purse strings
- Data: don't be caught out
- Punished enough?
- Prior statements practice
- Family business musings
- TUPE: armour not gold-plated?
- Pension policy - a vote winner?
- Scottish Solicitors' Discipline Tribunal
- In with the system
- Check and double-check
- Lender Exchange ahead
- Have you the capital?
- How not to win business: a guide for professionals
- Reflections from the Complaints Commission
- Ask Ash
- Danger spots
- It's the name of the game
- Law reform roundup
- Conference aspires to judicial diversity