In February the Scottish Government announced that there is to be an independent review of the legal aid system in Scotland. The review is to be chaired by Martyn Evans, CEO of Carnegie Trust. The review group will also include solicitors with strong experience of working in legal aid;
- Lindsey McPhie, solicitor advocate and immediate past president of the Glasgow Bar Association
- Jackie McRae, a SSSC registered social worker, solicitor accredited by the Law Society as a specialist in family law and a former member of the Law Society’s Council
- What shared values and ethos should underpin legal aid services, and how best can they be embedded in the delivery of legal services in the future?
- How best can wider organisational arrangements (including functions, structures and processes) support and enable the delivery of effective legal aid services?
- How best can legal aid services achieve positive outcomes for and with the people of Scotland?
- If you were designing a system of legal aid today what would you do differently from the current system to make it more effective and person-centred?