Peter Manson Robertson
A complaint was made by the Council of the Law Society of Scotland against Peter Manson Robertson, c/o Blackadders LLP, 6 Bon Accord Square, Aberdeen. The Tribunal found the respondent guilty of professional misconduct in respect that he acted in a conflict of interest situation in a sale of heritable property between members of the same family and breached rules 3(1), 4(1) and 9 of the 2008 Practice Rules, and rules 3 and 5 of the 1986 Practice Rules. The Tribunal censured the respondent and fined him £7,500.
The respondent acted in a clear conflict of interest situation. In doing so he failed to act in the best interests of his clients, the secondary complainers. He acted without their authority. He did not communicate effectively with them regarding the sale and the funds which passed through his firm. His conduct clearly fell below the standard to be expected of a competent and reputable solicitor to a degree that could only be considered serious and reprehensible. Compensation was awarded to the secondary complainers in the sum of £4,836.38.
In this issue
- Acting in the best interest of the company?
- Social housing: the ground rules change
- Supporting your EU staff
- Sands run out on offshore interests
- Familiar faces not welcome
- Reading for pleasure
- Opinion: Pol Clementsmith
- Book reviews
- Profile: Robert Rennie
- President's column
- Moving from Registers Direct to ScotLIS
- People on the move
- Good on paper?
- When 1 + 1 = 3
- Voice of the child
- Curators ad litem: who pays, and for what?
- Limits of a course of conduct
- Asleep on the job?
- Affidavits – essential reading
- Prisoner privacy proportionality
- Not just a matter of form for employers
- Scottish Solicitors' Discipline Tribunal
- Keep your beneficiary nominations up to date
- See-through titles: setting the scene
- In-house traineeships: time for an in-depth look
- Public policy highlights
- Paralegal pointers
- Police interview advice: a skill to learn
- Swimming, not sinking
- The lawyer and the geek
- Ask Ash