A Bill to make provision about targets, plans and policies for improving the natural environment; for statements and reports about environmental protection; for the Office for Environmental Protection; about waste and resource efficiency; about air quality; for the recall of products that fail to meet environmental standards; about water; about nature and biodiversity; for conservation covenants; about the regulation of chemicals; and for connected purposes.
The Environment Bill was introduced to the House of Commons and given its first reading on 15 October 2019. The second reading took place on 28 October 2019 and we issued a briefing at that stage. The Bill did not then progress before Parliament was dissolved for the UK General Election 2019.
This was replaced by the Environment Bill 2019-20, which was introduced to the House of Commons and given its first reading on Thursday 30 January 2020.
- View the progress of the Bill on the UK Parliament's website.
- Read our briefing issued for the second reading in the House of Commons on 26 February 2020
- Alison McNab, Policy Executive gave evidence to the Environment Bill Committee on 12 March 2020
- Read our written evidence that we submitted to the Environment Bill Committee in March 2020.
- See our amendments with reasons and effects issued ahead of the House of Commons committee stage on Tuesday 19 March 2020
- View our comments sent to the Scottish Parliament’s Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee on the Legislative Consent Memorandum for the Environment Bill on Wednesday 10 June 2020